Modernist Plating & Techniques
This class is taught by Certified Master Chef Rich Rosendale and the RC Culinary team. We will share with you a plethora of techniques that will elevate your plating skills to a higher level by applying new techniques, tools and philosophies from within the industry. Chef Rosendale and his team execute events around the world as well as operate restaurant and catering operations. Many of the tools and techniques are the ones they use in real-world situations. These concepts are practical and innovative and will, in some cases, save you time and allow you to evolve your plate presentations while also being more productive in your menu planning.
The class is held in Leesburg, Virginia, at one of Rosendale's Collectives locations, FORKLIFT. The class will also include a tour of the RC Culinary Lab, a state-of-the-art kitchen and a commissary. There the Chef will share some of the newest tools the team is using and how they can assist you in more creative and innovative plate presentations while also being relevant to take economy.
Considered an authority on culinary training, Rich is one of only 67 Certified Master chefs in the United States. He has over 55 international cooking awards under his belt. He has experience in operations like the Greenbrier Resort, with 15 kitchens on the property. He has trained throughout Europe and Nordic countries, along with training under Thomas Keller during the prestigious Bocuse d'Or, where he finished in the top third of the field.
So what are you going to learn? Well, the course is packed with information. The topics covered in the hands-on workshop are listed below:
- The evolution of the "plate": Introduction and timing of how the plate has evolved and where it is going next.
- Elevated simplicity: in a time of higher food cost, and high labour costs we will show you how to present your food with a minimalistic approach
- Minimize waste: We will explore ways to repurpose food products that otherwise may be tossed in the bin.
- Crumbles, crisp and textures: creative ways to add texture to your plates
- Engage the senses with sound, light, and aroma: we will demonstrate how to create an experience with your guest by incorporating glowing sauces, music and aroma to make a memorable moment in this one-of-a-kind dessert display.
- Contemporary sauce techniques: We will demonstrate ways to make clean, vibrant sauces using unconventional techniques without compromising flavour
- Innovative hors d’oeuvres and snacks: RC will create a collection of some of this year's most popular canapes and stacks
- Vessels, “surfaces”, and plate selection: this section reviews some of our favourite plating vessels as well as discusses tips on capturing the best photography of your dishes.
- Creativity with vegetables: learns how to really highlight a vegetable by making it the star of the dish and transforming everyday vegetables into something extraordinary.
- Application of technology and equipment: We will tour the RC Culinary lab and share some of our newest gear and equipment
- Intro to hydrocolloids and gums: Learn the properties and best applications for modified starches and gums and how to use them
- “Instagramable” dessert presentation for catering: Live dessert showcase
This is a professional hands-on workshop for chefs. Participants will receive a welcome letter with the schedule two weeks prior to the course. All participants will receive an electronic file with recipes and the course material upon completion. We supply all of the food and material for the workshop. This class is of tremendous value.
This program is approved for 16 continuing education hours toward the initial or recertification application for ACF certification.
Note: These programs are not endorsed, accredited, or affiliated with ACF or the ACF Certification Program.
Here’s what the chefs are saying about the class.
“Chef Rich not only teaches the basics and advanced techniques of sous vide cooking…he made sure he understood each participant's business needs and showcased techniques specific to them!"
- Lou Bastian, VP Corporate Chef Levy Restaurants
TOOLS AND ATTIRE: We recommend wearing your regular kitchen attire and apron, or casual clothing is also acceptable. No specific tools are required as our venue is fully equipped with everything you will need.
PLEASE NOTE: No video or audio recording devices are allowed during the class. Only still photos are allowed. This is strictly enforced.
CLASS SCHEDULE: (ALL DAYS/LOCAL TIME)
8:30 am to 9:00 am - (Continental Breakfast)
9:01 am to 12:00 pm - (Morning Session)
12:01 pm to 12:30 pm - (Lunch)
12:31 pm to 3:00 pm - (Afternoon session)
ADDRESS FOR THE CLASS:
75 Lawson Rd. Unit 109
Leesburg VA, 20175
Dulles International Airport
1 Saarinen Cir, Dulles, VA 20166
Upon booking your class, we will provide you with instructions to book a stay at our official partner hotel, where you will receive a special rate. The Hampton Inn & Suites Leesburg is conveniently located just minutes away from our culinary operation and class venue. The hotel's address is 117 Fort Evans Rd NE, Leesburg, VA 20176.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
Less than 90 days prior - a 100% refund to the original form of payment will be offered for the total amount paid.
Less than 60 days prior - No refunds will be offered, but 100% class credit will be issued and can be used towards future classes.
Less than 10 days prior - 75% class credit offered (based on the amount paid) and can be used only for regular class prices and cannot be applied to early bird prices or discounts.
Less than 7 days prior - 50% class credit offered (based on the amount paid) and can be used only for regular class prices and cannot be applied to early bird prices or discounts.
Anytime (past participants only) - 100% class credit offered (based on the amount paid) and can be used only for regular class price and cannot be applied to early bird prices or discounts.
Each situation will be evaluated by Chef Rich Rosendale. Upon review, the credit will be submitted. Evaluation can take up to 48 hours.
WANT A CLASS IN YOUR CITY? - CONTACT email@example.com
NOTE: We recognize the reality of the pandemic and have adapted our operations to maintain continuity while ensuring the safety of our employees. We are taking abundant care to minimize exposure to both our employees and participants in our classes, using technology whenever possible. As we have told our employees, we also ask you to follow CDC guidelines, remain home as much as possible, and stay safe.
Equipment sponsors from http://www.rcculinarylab.com/